About Us 2023 Newborn Screening GRACE Award
Baby’s First Test is excited to accept applications for the third annual Generating Real Action by Cultivating Engagement (GRACE) Award — the first award of its kind to recognize a team approach to family and community engagement in newborn screening. Building off the momentum of past years’ GRACE Awards, we aim to connect with and highlight more programs and initiatives that are making their mark in newborn screening.
We want to spotlight programs and initiatives that engage families and communities in newborn screening with grace and authenticity so that family needs are met and lessons learned are integrated into future strategies.
On Wednesday, September 27, 2023, the award recipient(s) will be provided with a virtual platform to share their work and efforts. The recipient(s) will also be recognized with a personalized glass award.
Who Should Apply?
We encourage applications from a range of stakeholders who reflect the newborn screening system. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Advocacy organizations
- Non-profit organizations
- Federally-funded initiatives
- State newborn screening programs
- Industry-led initiatives
Committed to meeting families and community partners where they are, we want to recognize programs and initiatives that engage and support families and/or family-focused organizations in the newborn screening system. Since engagement can consist of different interpretations and frameworks, the selection committee will review your program/initiative based on your engagement process and impact on care.
Planning for or launching the program/initiative must have begun/occurred between June 2021 and June 2023. Though this award is not exclusively focused on the pandemic, we welcome applications from programs/initiatives related to newborn screening and COVID-19.
You are encouraged to re-apply this year if your organization was not selected as the 2022 GRACE Award winner.
How to Apply
Please submit your application here if you are interested in nominating your own or another organization’s program/initiative. The application includes the following questions:
- Please provide your name, credentials, job title, and organization name.
- Briefly describe the program/initiative. (500 words)
- Who are the team members who have been involved in the planning and development of this program/initiative? Please include all relevant staff, their titles, and any collaborating organizations.
- How is this program/initiative supported? (50-250 words)
- Describe your team’s process for planning and developing this program/initiative. Please be sure to include how you cultivated engagement with families. (50-250 words)
- How does this program/initiative meet the needs of families? (50-250 words)
- How does this program/initiative promote real action and effect change? Please share any metrics or measures you used or plan to use when evaluating this program/initiative’s impact. (50-250 words)
- Describe any challenges your team experienced while planning, developing, and/or executing this program/initiative. (50-250 words)
- How will you sustain and/or grow this program/initiative over the next two years?
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
You may submit up to three materials with your application, including any relevant planning documents or final products that best showcase how your program/initiative’s engagement strategies were used to meet family needs. If you are submitting materials translated into another language, please submit the English versions as well. All materials can be submitted to Dr. Eboni Drummond at [email protected].
Please submit all applications by 5:00 PM EST on Friday, August 11, 2023.
If you have any questions or have issues submitting your application, please contact Dr. Eboni Drummond at [email protected].
For sponsorship inquiries, please contact Natasha Bonhomme at [email protected].
Last Reviewed - 6/29/2023
Ask an Expert
Have a question that’s not answered on Baby’s First Test? Send it to our experts.