About Us 2022 Newborn Screening GRACE Award
Baby’s First Test is excited to accept nominations for the second annual Generating Real Action by Cultivating Engagement (GRACE) Award - the first award of its kind to recognize a team approach to family and community engagement in newborn screening. Building off the success of last year’s inaugural GRACE Award, we aim to connect with and highlight more programs and initiatives that are making their mark in newborn screening.
We want to spotlight programs and initiatives that engage families and communities in newborn screening with grace and authenticity so that family needs are met and lessons learned are integrated into future strategies.
In the upcoming year, we will highlight nominees across our extensive communication channels of over 3,000 subscribers and followers. On Tuesday, September 27th, the selected winner will be awarded and given the opportunity to share their work and efforts during a virtual award ceremony.
Who Should Apply
We encourage applications from a range of stakeholders who reflect the newborn screening system. These can include, but are not limited to:
State newborn screening programs
Committed to meeting families and community partners where they are, we want to recognize programs and initiatives that engage and support families and/or family-focused organizations in the newborn screening system. Since engagement can consist of different interpretations and frameworks, the selection committee will review your program/initiative based on your engagement process and impact on care.
Planning for or launching the program/initiative must have begun/occurred between June 2020 to June 2022. We encourage applications from programs/initiatives related to newborn screening and COVID-19, though this award is not exclusively focused on the pandemic. If you are submitting materials translated into another language, please submit the English versions as well.
You are encouraged to re-apply this year if your organization was not selected as the 2021 GRACE Award winner.
How to Apply
Please submit your application here if you are interested in nominating your own or another organization's program/initiative. The application includes the following questions:
1. Briefly describe the program/initiative. (500 words)
2. Who are the team members who have been involved in the planning and development of this program/initiative? Please include all relevant staff, their titles, and any collaborating organizations.
3. How is this program/initiative supported? (50-250 words)
4. Describe your team’s process for planning and developing this program/initiative. Please be sure to include how you cultivated engagement with families. (50-250 words)
5. How does this program/initiative meet the needs of families? (50-250 words)
6. How does this program/initiative promote real action and affect change? Please share any metrics or measures you used or plan to use when evaluating this program/initiative’s impact. (50-250 words)
7. Describe any challenges your team experienced while planning, developing, or executing this program/initiative. (50-250 words)
8. How do you plan to sustain and/or grow this program/initiative over the next two years?
9. Is there anything else you would like to add?
You may submit up to three materials with your nomination. These materials can include any relevant planning documents or final products that best showcase how your program/initiative's engagement strategies were used to meet family needs. Please submit these materials to Eboni Drummond at [email protected].
Please submit nominations by Friday, August 12th at 5pm ET.
For sponsorship inquiries, email Natasha Bonhomme at [email protected].
Last Reviewed - 7/1/2022
Ask an Expert
Have a question that’s not answered on Baby’s First Test? Send it to our experts.